Sunday 4 November 2012

Skinny love?

I was feeling ready and raring to go for my fashion challenge. I chucked some skinny jeans into the supermarket trolley, from Gok at Sainsburys, 25 % off at the moment, so a totally bargainous £21 and to my eye with the inky wash and orange stitching they look a little J-Brand-esque, they also fit well and feel fabulous.

To be honest, I've alway been utterly self-conscious in skinny jeans. Although I'm quite petite (well... OK I'm a short-arse) my legs are particularly stumpy and  rather curvy (cruelly described as stocky-little-Welsh-legs by disloyal members of the family, guilty parties if you're reading this, you know who you are.) They have a worrying tendency to look very carroty in shape when showcased in drainpipes, so I've always relied on bootlegs to balance things out a bit. But this whole project is about experimenting and stepping out of my comfort zone, so I was thrilled with my new purchase and idly musing about the effortlessly cool outfits I would put together...



                                          Gok's perfect skinny jeans for Tu at Sainsburys.

Errr...that was until I read the Sunday Times rules for ageless dressing:

Don't fall into the mutton trap, it said, you must immediately reject  'skinny jeans with stretch' (one of the worst things apparently) and leather jackets (too try hard on older women.) which, embarrassingly was pretty much what I was planning to wear for day one. It's official, I am clueless.

I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling a little despondent. For once I managed to find some jeans that were cheap, felt good and didn't make me feel like a baby elephant, then within nanoseconds they were listed as a style crime by the fashion police. Not a good start.

So may just stay in bed tomorrow.

Or may just think to hell with it and stick on jeans and leather jacket, what's one more fashion crime anyway?! And I'll still have another 49 outfits to try and get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment