Monday 5 November 2012

Mumsy moi?

Day one and dear reader I went with the stretchy skinnies and leather jacket combo. Style crime number one committed, with apologies to the fashion fascists in the Sunday Times Style section.

I know it's not exactly a cutting edge look but still my husband was visibly shocked when I sashayed into the kitchen this morning ( well...kind of shuffled in self-consciously.) Was it the slight flash of colour? I've been in black for ever, so even a smudge of wine (or is it bordeaux, or burgundy, or what my mother would call maroon?) is a surprise. Or was it the fear that I'd been squandering unnecessary cash on new clothes? Cue, rapid reassurance about these old things and peacefully onto a lightening-fast breakfast.

Time was tight because I'd taken ages get dressed. Endlessly swapping and changing ankle boots and knee-high boots. Flatties are simply not an option for me, I love them on everyone else, they look so effortless and cool- but when I try them on I look as if I've been chopped off below the knee. My legs are just too short for my body (and probably for anyone else's body, truth be told) so heels it is.

I've done my research and I know that ankle boots are where it's at with skinnies (Kat from http://doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk looks a-maaaazing in skinnies and ankle boots/wedge trainers/anything really) but I am soooo not ready...
...I was too embarrassed to leave the bedroom, the knee boots seem to balance out my thighs better, even if they are dated and/or Mumsy. Maybe tomorrow I'll try again.

Or on day ten.

Think I need to work on my scarf tying, my stance and my photography!
Jeans,:Gok perfect skinnies from Sainsburys
Scarf: Miss Selfridge (this season)
Boots; Moda in Pelle (this season)
Leather military jacket (Day, Birger and Mikkelsen...this old thing)
Burgundy jumper: Uniqlo



With my trusty old Vivienne Westwood Anglomania coat added (and after a haircut)

2 comments:

  1. Aaah - you intrigue me. You have the same hang up about skinnies as I do - the eternal carrot leg syndrome. Skinnies work best for me when tucked in boots - I have shorter legs, long torso so have to work out what suits and what drags me down. I can't see anything wrong with what you've got on and I love the Anglomania coat ... I can see you have some fashion mojo going on - you've not lost it. I do the "this old thing" technique too. Actually, you're not a woman unless you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How reassuring to hear you say that... because your legs look fab in all your pics. Clearly you've worked out what works!
    Jane
    XX

    ReplyDelete